How To Avoid Flooding Problems?
Flooding Problems or Water Damage in one’s home or business is more common than most people think. In most cases than not is the result of accidents in the house like a tap someone forgot to turn off, or a washing machine hose that can be accidentally removed out of the laundry trough. Another incredible and maybe the most interesting is people who fall asleep in the shower as a result that they come to the house after a few too many drinks.
Other generally causes of floods or water damage in houses and businesses across Ottawa are due to either poor maintenance or poor workmanship. Overflow of gutters that have not been cleared of debris is a major issue, especially after autumn. Or if you are using flex-pipes for washing machines and dishwashers that have not been fitted properly usually give way and cause major flooding. Common problems are also undetected leaking pipes. Remember that cracked and damaged roofing is often the reason for flooding during heavy rains. Sewerage overflow is another problem.
Prevent water damage or flooding problems Ottawa
Of course, it is almost impossible to control all the contributors to water damage in your house or business but you can take some steps to reduce the likelihood that you will be affected by water damage or flooding problems.
As an experienced company on flooding restoration Ottawa we recommend some steps to consider to avoid water damage problems.
- If you are leaving the house for an extended period (for vacation or in another city for several weeks) it is recommended to switch off your water supply from the mains to minimize the risk of flooding problems and water damage from leaks or bursts pipes.
- If you hear a noise in your roof or walls you should investigate them further as soon as possible because this is a sign that they may have water leaks.
- If you have kids it is highly recommended that before bedtime and before you go out check that all taps have been turned off or not.
- If you have passed all night out, and you came home late, it is very recommended to not sit in the shower to try and sober up. The possibility to fall asleep is highly likely and blocks the drain causing a major flooding issue.
- Try to clean your gutters periodically to make sure that they do not backflow into your home during heavy rains.
- You have to check your roof and to ensure there are no broken tiles or loose roofing materials. A damaged roof will most likely result in major flooding problems in your house during heavy rains.
- A good indication that can prevent you that your sewer may be blocked and could overflow into your house are slow drainage in your sinks or if you notice bubbling water in your toilet.
- When installing a washing machine or dishwasher hoses always is recommended to use professionals and you have to make sure that the water supply hoses are fitted correctly and make sure you do not cross-thread them.
- If your washing machine hose empties into your laundry trough ensure that it is secured and stays in the trough permanently. It is very unexplained how many people move them and then forget to put them back, causing significant flooding in their house.
If you are unfortunately confronting flooding problems in wet carpet or timber flooring, or in water damage to your walls or other surfaces in your house or business call a professional company like Renovco as soon as possible. The faster water is faraway and the drying process starts the more contained the damage will be. If you do not do something fast the water could result in molding, cupping of your timber floor or extensive damage to your walls and subfloor, etc.
Do not try and dry your water damaged home yourself, you are unlikely to be able to remove the excess water from the subfloor or to dry it effectively. Call Renovco team at 613-727-7070 to find out what to do if your home or business in Ottawa is affected by water damaged resulting in wet carpet, wet flooring, water damaged walls or mold resulting from moisture and long-term water damage. We are certified and accredited by the IICRC Professional (Clean Trust Certified) and the OCCQ (BBB in Quebec). As a result, our team will provide you with advice on what to do and the impacts of no action. Our aim is to have our water damage technicians at your location anywhere in Ottawa within the hour.